Senior Community Services Employment Program (SCSEP)
SCSEP Eligibility Requirements
To participate in this employment program for older Iowans, a person must be:
- Age 55 or older;
- Currently unemployed;
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; and
- Living in a household with income no more than 125 percent of the current federal poverty level.
i. All disability payments, including Social Security Disability (SSDI), are excluded from SCSEP income eligibility determinations
ii. 25% of Social Security payment is excluded, which includes social security retirement and survivors benefits
iii. All Unemployment Compensation is excluded
iv. SSI & public assistance are excluded
v. Veterans Benefits are excluded
The above guidelines will help you decide if you qualify for participation, but with all these guidelines, it is best to contact the Iowa Department on Aging at (515) 725-3333 or toll free at 800-532-3213 to discuss potential eligibility with a staff member.
SCSEP participants are paid minimum wage while they gain marketable job skills working part-time in non-profit and public organizations, including senior centers, schools and libraries. The program provides a win-win for participants and their communities: Participants help community organizations extend their capabilities, while developing their own job skills, self-confidence and a restored sense of self-worth.
Download the Iowa SCSEP State Plan (2016-2020)
Iowa currently has 560 training positions that are divided up between National and State grantees. They are as follows:
AARP Foundation (888) 234-0206
(319) 234-0206 serving the following counties: Allamakee, Benton, Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Cedar, Clinton, Delaware, Des Moines, Dubuque, Grundy, Henry, Iowa, Jackson, Johnson, Jones, Lee, Linn, Louisa, Muscatine, Scott and Winneshiek.
(515) 287-1555 serving the following counties: Carroll, Cerro Gordo, Clarke, Clay, Dickinson, Emmet, Floyd, Hancock, Humboldt, Jasper, Marshall, Mitchell, Osceola, Polk, Poweshiek, Ringgold, Tama, Union, Webster, Winnebago and Woodbury.
Experience Works (877) 314-7385
(515) 243-2430 serving the following counties: Adair, Adams, Allamakee, Appanoose, Audubon, Boone, Calhoun, Carroll, Cedar, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clarke, Clay, Clayton, Clinton, Dallas, Davis, Decatur, Des Moines, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Guthrie, Hamilton, Hardin, Henry, Howard, Humboldt, Jackson, Jefferson, Keokuk, Kossuth, Lee, Lucas, Madison, Mahaska, Marion, Mitchell, Monroe, O'Brien, Osceola, Palo Alto, Pocahontas, Ringgold, Sac, Scott, Story, Taylor, Union, Van Buren, Wapello, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Webster, Winneshiek, Worth and Wright.
Senior Service America, Inc (SSAI)
(712) 274-1610, ext. 224, serving the following counties: Buena Vista, Cherokee, Ida, Lyon, Plymouth, Sioux and Woodbury.
(712) 755-5135 serving the following counties: Cass, Crawford, Freemont, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie and Shelby.
Older American Community Service Employment Program (Iowa Department on Aging)
(515) 725-3333 or toll free at 800-532-3213